Friday, June 5, 2009

Cookies

Ahh.. cookies. Quite possibly the first thing a young cook learns. So simple... yet so easy to go wrong. (Here I would insert some pictures, but alas, my dear digital camera is dead.) Most of the time, you make cookie batter, shape it, put it in the oven, and bring out quick and easy delicious treats. But sometimes.... the cookie crumbles. So here is my anecdote.
One day, my nephews wanted some cookies. I wanted oatmeal... they wanted chocolate chip. After finally relenting to make the cookie they would like, I retrevied a bag of chocolate chips. Can you imagine my delight when I looked on the bag and there was a recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies? I checked the ingrediants, realizing I could make them. I was escstatic measuring the ingrediants carefully, and baking them. Little did I know that the joy was in vain. The moment I took the cookies off the stone, they evaporated into a million tiny peices, a whole dozen. A little set back, I concedeed that perchance the delightful cookies had only cooked too long. I dumped the refuse into a bowl and continued in the cookie process, checking on them carefully and watching closely. After all, the recipe was on the bag, it had to be good.. right? Despite all of my efforts, every single one of them crumpled. How distraut I was, with a bowl full of four dozen cookie crumbles! I had even used the last of the chocolate chips. Then I looked at the time. The boys would be up soon, how was I to show them the work of my labor. They would be anticipating yummy, warm-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies. Spying a bag of caramels, I made my move. Quickly producing wax paper, I laid it out. I then melted 6-8 caramels per dozen cookie crumbles. Much like a popcorn ball, I mixed the caramel in slightly before taking lumps of it and cookie crumbles and squeezing together. It made roughly double the original amount of cookie (ie 2 dozen caramel cookie crumbles per dozen (large) cookie crumbles.) Nervously I tried one -- they were excellent! My Caramel Cookie Crumbles saved the day!

So next time you have cookie crumbles, or recipe trying and it turns out splat, you can save the day (along with all of your work and the ingrediants) by adding a bit of caramel. I'll break it down for you.

1 doz. chocolate chip (variety) cookie crumbles
4-8 melted caramels (go less, but if it looks like you need more, depending on the amount and texture)

Melt caramels and mix into cookie crumbles. Quickly shape with your hands, squeezing into small balls.

If it's not a chocolate-containing cookie, either add 1/8 to 1/4 c chocolate chips or more caramels as needed. The caramel melted the chocolate chips and they helped it stay together as well. But think about what you should use first; a chocate chip snickerdoodle might not taste too good.

No comments: