Thursday, June 11, 2009

Best Truffles

I have a title around here. Actually, two titles, but we will speak of the other one later. One, I received on my brother in law's birthday after the kids and I made him some truffles to go with his cookie cake (yes. we really needed more sweets.) Ever since then, anything I make, be it juice from concentrate or dessert or ice, it's "good... but not as good as those truffles." And here I stand about to loose that title. My sister told me I'd "never live it down" if I didn't make more truffles before I leave. So I decided to make some. However, it's like, 100 degrees outside. Normally, when I make truffles or any kind of candy, I use the stovetop. I don't even use the microwave to melt butter! However, it's also normally winter (making them for Christmas gifts.) And now.. it's not. It's midsummer and HOT. And naptime will be over in 45 minutes so instead of using the time-tested method of truffling, I opted for the fast, easy, not-so-hot version. I just finished making the two ganache. One of them tasted fine but seemed really thick (not going to matter too much) but the other one... that's a different matter. I was afraid of melting the sugar with the butter (actually margarine, another flaw we will talk about later) in the microwave (I normally melt the two together in a saucepan, stirring frequently) so instead I microwaved the butter then put the sugar in. It turned out very grainy (because the sugar didn't melt all the way) and so I'm worried about texture. I also used margarine but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. I've got bigger things to worry about. I need to decide what is going to be coated in powdered sugar and if I'm going to coat any in real melted chocolate. It's very hot so I will probably go with powdered sugar. Despite my doubts, I'm sure they will be eaten fast. All in all, it's still chocolate. Besides, I always have doubts about my truffles, and I am always told they are good. Let's hope for the best! :)

No comments: